Saturday, June 2, 2012

June 2, 2012: Glad I Went......

Sorry for the inconvenience.  The blogger staff elected to shut down my earlier blog because of a Spam issue  (??????).

I'll fix up the layout when I get a chance, but I wanted to get this out for those who weren't able to attend the safety seminar last Thursday evening - and to mention a few things that weren't covered.

The attendance came to about 80 folks (Included 12 guests)!  Thanks for coming and thanks for spreading the word.

And thanks to Bern Case for coming out and giving us the word on the new loop taxiway.  Should help those aircraft coming out of the fire support base, Medford Air, Million Air and the general aviation ramp.  Bern works hard to improve our airport, and he was sincere about asking everyone to report problems we see from "ground level".  Interesting "tease" he threw out about the fourth of July.  Hmmmm.

Tom Williams (Control Tower Chief) did a great job of tackling the difficult subject of read-backs, radio calls and runway useage.  Too bad that donswingtips.blogspot.com was shut down.  The stuff Tom provided for the old blog is still valid today.  I always like to hear his philosophy:  "Help us to help you."  So, when the construction for the new loop taxiway is underway, please remember to look at things from their perspective.  And his comments about avoiding making instrument approaches during the late afternoon box-hauler launches is still valid.  Interesting comments about the tower's use of radar and local flight following with Cascade.
Tristan Charney and I had a tough time planning out the Ipad presentation.  We had no idea who would show up.  So, that's why it didn't have a solid structure and flow.  As I found out, about 15 to 20 were there to answer their question, "Should I buy one of these things?".  And about 30 people had an Ipad and wanted to know more about using the aviation apps - specifically, Foreflight.  Looked like about 30 to 40 percent of the crowd held an instrument rating.
As I mentioned earlier, we had a ton of stuff to cover and would only scratch the surface.  I will set up an Ipad user group and will get the expertise to help deliver answers to questions.  I need to find out the name of the big guy who was sitting in the middle of the crowd - who had some interesting comments about not needing this and that when flying with an Ipad.  He was also the one who reminded us that the charts and stuff needed to be loaded before a flight.  Like others in the room, he seemed to know a lot about Foreflight.  I plan to talk him into "spreading his wealth".
I appreciate Billy O'Quinn putting on a quickie show of screens available with Garmin Pilot (Many similiar with Foreflight screens).  I'll let you know about the websites and apps he mentioned.
Hopefully, I will get people like Tristan, Billy, Kelly Brown and others to sit in on an Ipad users group meeting.  Let me know if you are interested.  We have seven signed up from last Thursday night.

Jim Hultgrien, Regional Program Manager for the FAA Safety Team program, provided some refresher training to Jim Horner, Kelly Brown and myself earlier that day.  More on what we do in later postings or seminars.  But, I appreciate him sticking around and attending the seminar before returning north (Hillsboro FSDO). So, thanks to Jim and to Kelly and Jim Horner for their help in the seminar (Jim Horner bought your foo-foo water and cookies).

My comments included:

  • Being proficent before you start seriously using any high-tech stuff.
  • Upset training is always available from me at no CFI cost.
  • Developing a Friday night informal get-together.
Items not covered in the 5/31 seminar:
  • Navigation adventure flights
  • Using the Wings program
  • Tricking the "cowboys"
  • Spin orentation flights
  • Vimeo tutorials about Foreflight (www.vimeo.com/foreflight/videos)
  • Ipad vendors in Medford
  • Companion training
  • Ipad blogs and good aviation apps
So, stay tuned.  You'll read about these and other thoughts in another posting.  I just want to get this out and see if the new blog works.  I'll dress it up later.  Hurt my feelings when they classified the old blog as Spam and shut it down - but I'll get over it, I guess.

Please give me feedback.  The blog works if worthwhile information is available.

Thanks again for the support of so many of you.

Don

No comments:

Post a Comment